ChemTRAC - Toronto's Environmental Reporting and Disclosure Bylaw

Due Annually, by June 30th

ChemTRAC is the reporting program that falls under the Environmental Reporting and Disclosure Bylaw in the City of Toronto. The Bylaw requires facilities to report the use and release of 25 priority substances. It also provides the public access to this information. It is an offence for a facility not to report and if found guilty the fines range from:
  • $5,000 for a first offence;
  • $25,000 for a second offence; or
  • $100,000 for a third or subsequent offence.

How Do I Know If I Need To Report Under The Bylaw?

If your business is manufacturing, you are located in the City of Toronto (which includes, the former cities of Toronto, East York, Etobicoke, North York, York and Scarborough) and are using or releasing one of the listed priority substances, you may be required to report each year under the Environmental Reporting and Disclosure Bylaw (Municipal Code Chapter 423).

When Does It Apply?

There are three phases in the ChemTRAC reporting Bylaw. Although the first reporting deadline is June 30th 2011, not all facilities are required to report during the 1st year. The table below highlights when different facilities and industries are required to report emissions:

Phase 1 Facilities
First Reporting Deadline: Report 2010 data by June 30, 2011
Phase 2 Facilities
First Reporting Deadline: Report 2011 data by June 30, 2012
Phase 3 Facilities
First Reporting Deadline: Report 2012 data by June 30, 2013
Food and beverageChemical wholesale
Printing and publishingDry cleaning, laundry services
Power generationFuneral servicesAll other facilities that are not exempt under the Bylaw
Manufacturing, including chemical and petroleum productsWaste management and remediation
Wood industriesMedical and diagonostic laboratories
Water treatmentAuto repair and maintenance

Facilities That Are Exempt From Reporting Include:

  • Facilities engaged solely in retail sales
  • Medical or dental offices
  • Construction and building maintenance sites
  • Food and accommodation services
  • Facilities that distribute, store or sell fuels
  • Facilities that maintain and repair vehicles (A facility that maintains and repairs vehicles such as cars, trucks, locomotives, ships or aircraft are exempt ONLY if the facility does not paint or strip vehicles or their components, rebuild or re-manufacture vehicle components. This means that you aren’t required to report if your facility only does general mechanical and electrical repair and maintenance services for motor vehicles, such as engine repair and maintenance, exhaust system replacement, transmission repair and electrical system repair, oil change, lubrication, washing, or tire repair. If your facility is an auto body shop or similar facility then you may need to report to ChemTRAC. Auto body shops include facilities that repair and paint vehicles after a collision.)

What Do I Need To Report?

If you emit the substances listed below to the air, and in an amount (during the calendar year) more than listed, then you are required to report your emissions to the City:

Chemical NameMass Reporting Threshold kg/yr
Carbon Tetrachloride100
Chloroform (Trichloromethane)100
Chromium, Hexavalenta10
Chromium, Non-hexavalenta100
1,2-Dibromo ethane (Ethylene dibromide)100
1,2-Dichloroethane (Ethylene dichloride)100
Dichloromethane (Methylene Chloride)100
Tetrachloroethylene (Perchloroethylene)100
Vinyl Chloride100
Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs)10b
Nitrogen Oxidesc (NOx)200
Particulate Matter 2.5 (PM2.5)30
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) total100
a. and its compounds, expressed as the metal. b. PAHs released as a result of wood preservation using creosote must be reported even if below the mass reporting threshold c. NO + NO2, expressed as NO2