The National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI) program is administered by Environment Canada and requires an emissions report for over 300 substances annually, due on June 1st of every year. The program tracks releases to the air and water and solid waste disposals and is required of facilities that Manufacture, Process, or Otherwise (MPO) use one or more of the NPRI substances.
CHEMTRAC – The City of Toronto Bylaw (Municipal Code Chapter 423)
The Environmental Reporting and Disclosure Bylaw requires local facilities to report on any of the listed toxic chemicals that a facility manufactures, uses or releases to the environment if the amounts exceed the reporting thresholds. Facilities and businesses exempt from the Bylaw include:
- Facilities engaged solely in retail sales
- Medical or dental offices
- Construction and building maintenance sites
- Food and accommodation services
- Facilities that distribute, store or sell fuels
- Facilities that maintain and repair vehicles (if no painting or rebuilding is involved).